Friday, September 12, 2008

Love...is not rude.

I have always loved receiving thoughts of the day. I think it is the easiest way to put me in a positive frame of mind to start the day. It also sometimes moves me to action and change the way I look at something. I have on my desk a thought of the day calendar - Max Lucado is the author. Today's was pretty good that I would like to share it for two reasons - the first is because I think it is simple and pure and therefore no one can really argue with his message. The second reason is to maybe keep me accountable to the message and try harder to live by it.

It references 1 Cor 13:4-5

"Paul put rudeness on the list [when defining what love is not]... The Greek word for rude means shameful or disgraceful behavior...Rudeness was recently taken [to court] in Minnesota. A man fell out of his canoe and lost his temper. Though the river was lined with vacationing families, he polluted the air with obscenities. Some of those families sued him. He said, "I have my rights."
God calls us to a higher, more noble concern. Not "What are my rights?" but "What is loving?" Do you have the right to dominate a conversation...bark at the clerk...snap at the kids? Yes. But is it loving to act this way?"

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Very good thought. It makes me think of things I can improve on. Thank you for sharing it.

Jesse & Karen Nevin said...

I wish that this message didn't cut so deeply. Are you saying that it is not OK to get made at inanimate objects either? Oh boy, do I have some work to do! Thanks though.
Dad

Robyn said...

It's all about "trying" to be kind...trust me we all need reminders. I just thought it interesting because I hear all the time in some form or another "I have a right to..." Heck I realize I do that...so really this was the reminder I needed :)

Robert Choate said...

This has brought on some need for personal reflection on how I can do/love better. Goes well with a recent sacrament meeting talk we had on a similar subject. So thanks and hopefully we can all be a litte better with one another each day.